Gaming Latest - PS4, Xbox One, PC and Nintendo Video Game Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mature DS Games Risky?

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LV

Awards
Credits
Is it a poor profit proposition to release an M-rated DS title? EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich thinks so, estimating that GTA: Chinatown Wars sold only 200,000 units in March, less than many expected.

"It appears the industry may have been over-zealous with initial expectations on how GTA: Chinatown Wars would perform based upon the news it had received one of the highest quality scores for a Nintendo DS title," says Divnich.

Quality scores alone don't seem to be a major driver of sales on the DS, says Divnich -- he says many other DS titles, irrespective of their ESRB ratings, have scored 90 and above on Metacritic and have never broken 300,000 units in 3 months in North America.

"The results from Chinatown are an important benchmark for the industry, as it will be the best-performing mature rated title on the Nintendo DS to date coupled with one of the strongest mature-rated game brands," says Divnich.

Although Chinatown Wars will likely post a profit for publisher Take-Two, says the analyst, there's an "elevated risk" for other publishers looking to go mature on Nintendo's portable.

"With the majority of publishers currently taking a risk-adverse stance, we expect this to slow the growth rate of future mature rated titles on the DS," he says.

By contrast, though, titles targeted at the M demographic can still thrive on the PSP. "Previous GTA titles on the PSP have sold in excess 1 million units lifetime," Divnich says. "The performance on the DS highlights clearly the demographic differences between the two platforms in the handheld market."

[UPDATE: According to alternate estimates by Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, GTA: Chinatown Wars might sell as many as 450,000 units for the five-week month of March. Such a large disparity in projects is rare, but the argument is sure to be clarified by official NPD figures, debuting this Thursday.]

source

I'd say M games can make it on any system.

xxxAERO

( HELLO FASCINATION )
LV

Credits
I don't really see the big deal about mature games. I agree (for once
) with DS that mature games eventually spread to all gaming systems.

Spiritwarrior

Forum Reformist
Full GL Member
LV

Credits
I think because of the large number of M-rated games on the consoles, most gamers turned to the DS for E to T rated ones.

Depending on how well a M-rated game is made for the DS, the chance of having more may be small.

froggyboy604

Staff member
Tech Savvy
LV

Credits
I think M games are alright on the DS, but the DS graphics are not as realistic as the PSP, and most mature games tend to have good graphics and a lot of realism, so the DS is at a disadvantage when it comes to graphics, but with the stylus and built-in mic it can make it up in gameplay.

GAMER_NOW

LV

Credits
QUOTE Previous GTA titles on the PSP have sold in excess 1 million units lifetime

I don't think its really fair to compare lifetime sales to those of the first month >_>

I also think M rated games would probably be better on consoles since those can offer better violence which is exactly what a game like GTA is about.

hcfwesker

LV

Credits
QUOTE (GAMER_NOW @ April 17, 2009 05:45 pm) I don't think its really fair to compare lifetime sales to those of the first month >_>
Agreed. plus, GTA was born on PS consoles, so it's assumed more would by a game on their portable. plus, it was the first portable go t the series, and many may have been interested at first, but not into it after th3e first attempt.

froggyboy604

Staff member
Tech Savvy
LV

Credits
Mature rated games are best on the PC since if you got one of those very expensive gaming PC it is very realistic. Plus, the customization of buttons and characters are amazing.